Well, move over dentures because dental implants are the new black. Dental implants are an easy, permanent and natural feeling replacement for missing teeth.
A dental implant is an artificial tooth “root” made of titanium metal that is placed in your mouth. It fuses to the jaw bone and becomes a permanent fixture in the mouth that can support a dental prosthesis like a crown, bridge or denture.
Dental implants are the best permanent option for tooth replacement today. That being said, dental implants are not for everyone, so schedule a consultation with your dentist to go over your best options.
If you’re considering dental implants, here are 4 things you need to know:
- Dental implants have a high success rate. The success rate varies depending on the capabilities of the doctor, the health of the patient and what part of the jawbone the implant will be placed – but in general they have an estimated 98% success rate.
- They look and feel real. Dental implants are as close to your natural tooth as you can get. They are customized to match your natural set of teeth so they fit perfectly, looking and feeling like the real thing. You can rest at ease knowing no one will know notice that you have a dental implant – maybe even including yourself!
- Eating is easy. Because dental implants are anchored to your jaw, there is no difficulty or discomfort when eating. No slipping, sliding or falling – just biting and chewing.
- Implants serve as a replacement tooth root. When the root of a tooth is missing, your jawbone will gradually start to lose mass and density – this happens with bridges and dentures. However, with dental implants, the titanium rod acts as a faux tooth root. The jawbone is tricked into thinking that the tooth root is still there and begins to grow new tissue around it, keeping the jawbone from deteriorating.
- Implants are stand alone. They do not need the aid of healthy teeth to affix a dental prosthesis – the bridge, crown or dentures can be secured to the titanium implant itself leaving your other healthy teeth alone.
Dental implants are the easiest and most comfortable long-term replacement to missing teeth. They look and feel natural, and only require the same dental care as real teeth: brushing, flossing, rinsing and regular dental check-ups.
If you would like to find out if you’re a candidate for dental implants, visit our website to schedule a consultation or call our office at 281.419.2632.